Thursday, January 3, 2013

Your first cassette and twisted ankles

I was reading this blog post by Amanda Palmer and it got me thinking as to what my first cassette was and if I was a musician and were going to play an album in its entirety what would it be?

My first cassette was Ace of Base the Sign

I sang every song at the top of my lungs and danced around my bedroom like I was on stage - or what a 10 year old in 1994 thought one should look like while dancing on stage. I still have this album on my ipod by the way. It's a classic I tell you!

As much as I love The Sign, I don't think that would be the album I would perform all the way through.

That honor would have to go to No Doubt's album Tragic Kingdom.


I bought Tragic Kingdom with a gift card to Strawberries that I got for my 11th birthday. I also bought a lava lamp (it was awesome). I didn't have a CD player yet because they were too expensive back then. My friends and I listened to that tape for hours and when my friends went home I listen to it by myself.

Tragic Kingdom is responsible for me twisting my ankle. I was dancing in my room by myself when I landed on my foot wrong and hit the floor hard. My brother hearing the crash came running into my room to see what happened. Oh no big deal. Just injuring myself skanking to No Doubt.

So if I had the opportunity to perform one album all the way through it would be Tragic Kingdom. But with less ankle injury. Plenty of lava lamp and skanking though.

14 comments:

  1. I remember my first cassettes- Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View and TLC's Crazysexycool. My family didn't get a CD player until I was in eighth grade, for some reason- we were behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first cassette was a tie between Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill and Nirvana's MTV Unplugged. My first CD was Ace of Base The Sign. I still love all of them to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Jagged Little Pill on cassette too. I wore it out.

      Delete
  3. My first cassette was probably something in the NKOTB oeuvre. (I am old.)

    The album I'd want to perform all the way through is the Dr. Horrible soundtrack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe my first cassette that wasn't a self down, radio recorded mix tape (WHAT UP!) was something Mariah Carey my cousin gave me. I am a little ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mariah Carey and I use to sit for hours recording songs off of the radio.

      Delete
  5. While I rocked out to both Ace of Base and No Doubt (and still do on a playlist called "Awesomely Gross Mix"), I had the luxury of a CD player. (Spoiled bitch, I know). My first cassette was a New Kids on The Block tape. I was in first grade. I thought I was soooo cool. Come to think of it, NKotB is also on my Awesomely Gross playlist. Good taste, Ginny, good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it seems you have good taste as well. We are pretty much awesome.

      Delete
  6. aww cassette tapes! This brings back good memories. I went into a record shop yesterday (it's well known San Francisco, Amoeba Music) and they still sold tapes! I was shocked and it made me really happy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahha I loved the sign! I'm not sure what my first cassette was - perhaps a spice girls single. i do remember my first album - third eye blind! Followed by b*witched. I had weird tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first two cds were The Spice Girls and Tool. These were picked out by me. I was weird as well ha ha.

      I loved b*witched!

      Delete