Monday, March 3, 2014

Self-pity helps no one, especially yourself.

I will be the first to admit that I am very good at feeling bad for myself. Seeing that written out is a little embarrassing. Self-pity is not something you want to be good at.

Let's take a look at the actual definition.

  "Self-pity: feeling of pity for yourself because you believe you have suffered more than is fair or reasonable."

"pity for oneself; especially : a self-indulgent dwelling on one's own sorrows or misfortunes"

Feeling you have suffered more than is fair or reasonable? Self-indulgent dwelling? These are not words that I want to define me.

This why I've declared 2014 the year of no self-pity. I can whine and complain all I want but that's not going to change my stomach problems. I can be angry at someone else's good fortune but that's a waste of time and energy.

You have to face your own problems and not compare yourself to other people. By dwelling on what you can't change you will not move forward and you will not be happy.

Now I'm not saying you can never have a little pity-party, what I'm saying is don't make your whole life one giant pity-party. That really sounds like a horrible party.

Now I'm all amped up. I want to watch some TED talks and high five everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment