Monday, December 14, 2020

Where have I been

Took a bit of an unexpected blog break. A lot has happened since the summer. After weeks of working from home in a small one bedroom apartment, we decided to buy a house. Apparently we weren't the only ones who had this idea. House hunting is stressful and I really don't plan on doing it again any time soon. I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be to lose out on a house and we lost out on a few. One house we lost out on because the seller's agent was "overwhelmed" with the amount of offers and picked one to show to his seller because they had a dog. Our offer was higher and we could have gotten a dog! I don't think the seller's know they weren't presented with the highest offers. Talk about a bad agent. That house wasn't meant for us but at the time it stung. We stayed in our price range and the house we ended up with has most of the features we were looking for. We closed in October and are slowly getting things in order. Yes there are still unpacked boxes. I fully admit to being a procrastinator. 

I did find the time to start decorating for Christmas. I'm going to leave these snowflake lights up well after the holidays. 


Let me tell you the story behind these GIGANTIC ornaments. I thought they were normal sized and well as you can see they are not. Derek hates them, they're growing on me. When I found the box on the porch I could tell someone had opened it to see if there was anything worth taking and they decided they didn't want some giant ornaments. None of my other packages have been touched since we moved in. Now I'm paranoid about my packages being stolen. It's not a bad neighborhood at all but I guess it is the season for porch pirates.


My mom gave me the tree. She said it was too big for her apartment. My living room ceiling is not low so I think you have an idea of how tall this is. Currently our living room doesn't have any furniture. The couch is backordered until February (ordered in September!). We do have a finished basement where our old futon and loveseat is so we're not completely seatless. Maybe in a future blog post I'll talk about how my wall got damaged by a dresser delivery. 


Another decoration from my mom. It's in the dining room on the sideboard.

Very proud of how this wrapping job came out. This is a Lego set for my nephew. I need to mail out my gifts this week. Christmas is really sneaking up on me. Wasn't it just Thanksgiving? This table is in the kitchen and was left by the previous owners which was very nice of them considering how long it took for our dining room set to be delivered.

Yeah, pretty much sums up the past few months. I took this photo in Barnes & Noble to send to someone as part of a little inside joke.

I know I didn't show many photos of the actual house but I'll post more once I feel like things are more put together. It's an old farmhouse built in the 1860s. I was actually shocked when I saw the year it was built on the listing. There's been some renovations done by prior owners but if you look closely you can tell that it's an older house. The first night in the new house we thought we heard knocking at the back door when we were in the kitchen. Turns out it was either the washing machine or a ghost. There was no one at the door.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back and congratulations on the new house! Ugh, we bought our house this year and I can so relate to the anxiety of the hunt in a competitive market.
    I have a Christmas house decoration similar to yours, but I've lost the lightbulb. That's the best part!
    Well, enjoy your new haunted house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and congrats to you as well! Maybe someone should get us spare backup lightbulbs for the Christmas house as house warming gifts.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you blogging again! House moving is so stressful. I hope you'll be very happy in your new home.

    Our house is really old too, and most of it looks it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it haunted too? ha ha. I grew up in an old house so at this point it's what I'm used to.

      Delete