Monday, March 24, 2014

Facebook really tests my patience

I'm facebook friends with a childhood friend who really drives me insane sometimes. She recently found out she is pregnant with her third child. The father is a guy she had been dating for a very short amount of time and they are no longer together. She is on welfare and does not work and in my opinion should not be bringing another child into the picture.

Her facebook updates are non stop complaining about people being all in her business and yet she posts all of her business on facebook for people to comment on. In the past I've told her to be more private if she doesn't like what people comment or to de-friend them. She never does and the truth is it's because she likes the attention.

Lately I have been biting my tongue when I really want to let lose on her. I decided that it's not worth it because she will never learn and she is looking for a reaction. I've considered de-friending her but I'm facebook friends with everyone else in her family (I was very close with her two sisters growing up and as a result would often spend time with her as well) and part of me reads her status updates because of the drama in the comments. It's way better than any soap. I may just hide her status updates if I get too ragey.

My new facebook rule is to only comment on positive facebook updates. If you're complaining all the time about petty things I'm not going to comment. I'm trying to be more positive in my status updates as well. It can be too easy to fall into the facebook negativity trap.

5 comments:

  1. I've hidden a lot of people on facebook. I know if I delete them that they will be dramatic about it. I don't have to see their updates or deal with their drama. Win-win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the main reasons why I haven't deleted her. The hide status updates is a total win.

      Delete
  2. I also hide friends' posts in my newsfeed so that I don't have to read things like that all the time. I love your goal to only comment and post positive things. I might steal that idea as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good feature and they never know you did it. And feel free to steal away :)

      Delete
  3. Facebook drives me crazy for that very reason. I have a couple of casual friends who used to be good friends who do the same thing. This one girl lost a baby a couple of years ago, which was very sad and devastating for her, but she is still trying to milk sympathy for it now. She's also gone through a separation with her husband and had another baby since... if she's not complaining about one thing, it's the other... but if anybody says anything negative, she's quick to tell them to get out of her business.

    I have "unfriended" a decent amount of people who I know won't whine about it -- people I haven't talked to since high school or never knew that well anyway, etc. -- so I don't see it as much... but there are always gonna be those people that you just have to hide their posts.

    ReplyDelete