Thursday, July 17, 2014

A lesson in sensitivity

People really should stop and think for a moment before they speak. My mother's boyfriend recently passed away so I check in on her every day to see how she's doing. She is doing ok but my blood started to boil when she mentioned some of the things people have said to her.

Someone left my mother a voicemail the other morning checking to make sure she wasn't lying in bed all day (she wasn't) and said that she needs to move on with her life. Her boyfriend just passed away, do not tell her she needs to move on with her life. How about you just say you're checking in to see how she's doing?

Another person asked my mother if she plans on dating again. It's been two weeks! She is still grieving.

I know both of the people who said these things and I know their intentions were good, they just weren't thinking about what they were saying.

I won't even get into the woman who asked about the funeral arrangements while he was still alive. 

Hello, McFly?! Do not ask about funeral arrangements for someone who is still alive. Although my mother's response was great. "Why don't you go plan your own funeral!"

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, SO insensitive! Geez! Love your mom's response to the funeral planner, though!

    ReplyDelete