Monday, September 22, 2014

No MAGIC! You are rude.

I'm sure by now you've heard the song Rude by MAGIC! If you haven't, you're lucky but now I've probably jinxed you and you'll start hearing the song everywhere. The song as about a man who goes and asks his lady love's father for permission to marry his daughter.

Here is the part of the song that irritates me:

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life?
Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know
You say I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die
Tough luck, my friend, but the answer is 'No'

Why you gotta be so rude?
Don't you know I'm human too?
Why you gotta be so rude?
I'm gonna marry her anyway

Marry that girl
Marry her anyway
Marry that girl
Yeah, no matter what you say
Marry that girl
And we'll be a family
Why you gotta, be so
Rude

Listen guy, why bother asking permission if you're going to marry her anyway? Not only are you going to marry her anyway, you're going to say this to her father's face? I'd like to hear the father's side of the story. Maybe he has a good reason for saying no? Maybe this guy is a loser who can't hold down a job and her father wants better for her? Maybe this guy wore his girlfriend's shirt to dinner and didn't make the best impression?


This is pretty much exactly what I pictured a Canadian reggae band to look. I am pleased that I was correct.

We need a rebuttal from the father.

Why you gotta be a tool?
My daughter can do better than you
Why you gotta be a tool?
Be careful what you say

If you're going to follow antiquated social norms be prepared to face the consequences

6 comments:

  1. Hahah the dad's lyrics are great. I like this song because it's catchy but I agree... why ask the dad if you are going to marry her anyway??

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is catchy, I admit that. It gets stuck in my head!

      Delete
  2. Ha! I've never seen the band before, but I agree with you, they look exactly how one would expect a Canadian reggae band to look, i.e. douchey. And I am speaking as a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing to myself when I saw the photo. The guy with the hipster glasses and necklace really takes the cake.

      Delete
  3. there were two video responses, one from a father saying his response but the better was from a girl who pretty much said what the heck why are these two people deciding my life

    ReplyDelete