Saturday, December 24, 2016

Cooking a mini Christmas Eve feast

I had to work yesterday but our office closed at 2:30 so we could get a head start on the holiday weekend. Good thing because Derek and I had tickets to see the Slutcracker at the Somerville Theater at 8 and I wanted to have time to eat dinner first. We were going to eat dinner at Red Bones but they were closed due to some work being done on the restaurant. We ate at Foundry on Elm instead. My steak wasn't worth the price but I discovered a new beer I like that's local. Our table was next to the bar and a woman was sitting there having some soup and a drink and people kept coming over to her to talk. I was wondering what was going on and then overheard someone offer their condolences. They must have just come from a funeral service. It was bit awkward because our table was right there. I felt like we were at the front of a receiving line. I kept bumping people in the back with my elbow while eating, not on purpose of course.

The Somerville theater was packed. We got there 20 minutes early and we still had to sit up in the balcony area. We could still see fine so it wasn't a problem. The show was really good. I was impressed with the quality of dancing, ballet and pole. I also liked that there were people of all shapes and sizes. The creator of the show talked about how she was told she was too fat to pursue ballet professionally when she was only 10 years old. She is by no means overweight either. Now she's been running her own successful show since 2008.

After the Slutcracker we met up with friends at the Cask N Flagon near Fenway. I thought it would be just a few people but it was a full on party. There were even some western Mass folks that made the trek out.


The music was awesome. Lots of 90s and early 2000s. My type of music. I danced my booty off. My shoulder is actually a little sore today from all the dancing. I didn't think I was doing anything crazy with my arms but my shoulder would say otherwise.

This morning Derek and I slept in and then we went to Whole Foods in the rain to get some groceries for Christmas Eve dinner. Derek's making beef wellington with roasted potatoes and asparagus. I'm in charge of scallops wrapped in bacon. We're getting fancy over here. I stopped by the liquor store to get some Champagne and beer for tomorrow night. It was pricey but I got actual Champagne from Champagne France.

I got to video chat with my family down in Florida. My niece and nephew opened their gifts from me and they seemed to really like them. My sister in law did give me some suggestions. Hunter was really excited about his skateboard. My niece was sitting in front of the phone showing me her troll dolls that I got her. It was all very cute.

Now it's time to relax while the food cooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment