Sunday, August 26, 2018

Cheilectomy recovery updates Days 1 - 3


I'm now three days out from the cheilectomy on my right big toe. I thought I would give a little update on how things are going.

Surgery day: Pain was minimal as I had a nerve block in my foot and they gave me a dose of pain medication in the recovery room before I left the hospital. I did take some percocet before I went to bed as I was starting to feel a bit of pain.

Day 1 post surgery: Pain was much worse the day after surgery. I felt like my foot got ran over by a truck. I tried to just get by on Aleve but it wasn't cutting it. I took some percocet. Icing around my ankle seems to help the pain.

Day 2 post surgery: Pain is better but I felt like my foot kept falling asleep when I was trying to sleep with my foot raised. Sleeping on my back all night is not comfortable for me and I kept waking up. I finally gave up and went to the couch. My foot is feeling a little better so I decide to try just taking Aleve. I seem to do ok with that and did not have to take percocet. I also took a bath with my foot sticking out of the tub with a plastic bag. I ordered a proper cast protector from Amazon to put over my boot.

Day 3 post surgery: Still not sleeping well and moved to the couch again. I cut back on the Aleve and just took one in the morning. I'm still icing but the pain is much better. I'm bored and antsy and want to get outside but I'm stuck on the couch. That has been the hardest part, not being able to get up and go about. I would kill to walk to the grocery store. I feel like I can "feel" the stitches today if I move my foot a certain way. My foot feels less swollen though.

So that's where I am right now. I'm still using the crutches to get around to help keep my weight on my heel when I walk. It's slow going but I can't rush it. I'm working from home for the week and have my first follow up appointment Wednesday. I really hope I can get back into the office by Friday. I hate being stuck in the house.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got over the worst of it, but may be a while before you go dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll be out on the dance floor in a few months. Just in proper shoes.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like things are going according to plan, but still, I can feel you're antsyness. We really miss our feet when we can't use them! Good for you for going for minimal meds. You don't need a painkiller addiction on top of the bum foot!
    How long on crutches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know how people can take pain pills for fun. My stomach was not feeling too good on them which is why I wanted to stop taking them as soon as possible. I'm down to using one crutch today. I'm hoping to ditch the crutches some point over the long weekend and just use the boot.

      Delete