Thursday, October 17, 2013

Everyone has something they're good at

Sometimes I say to myself “Ginny you have no skills. You can’t play a musical instrument or speak a second language – what are you good at?” I try to argue that napping is a skill but even I’m not fooling myself with that one.

I realized today that I do have a skill! It may not be very impressive but it’s useful and comes naturally. I was speaking on the phone to a potential new client and at the end of the conversation he said “you know, I really want to thank you because you’ve been very nice and understanding and I feel better after speaking with you.” I thanked him and told him that I was glad I could help.

This is not the first time a client has said this about me. I’ve been told that I’m easy to talk to and sometimes when you’re going through a divorce you just need someone who’s on your side. Granted I get paid to be on their side but there are plenty of people who get paid and still have a nasty attitude when dealing with clients or customers.

So I’m putting people skills in the things I’m good at column, right below napping (because I really am an excellent napper). It may not be as impressive as playing the piano but it’s something I’m good at.

1 comment:

  1. I think napping is an excellent skill to have. Also being friendly and easy to talk to is a great skill that will take you far. I wish I was better at it.

    ReplyDelete