Sunday, February 16, 2020

Support your local buskers

I recently came across a video of Tones and I performing her song "Dance Monkey" (see clip below) and I immediately loved the song and wanted to know more about the singer.


After some googling I found out that she was a busker from Australia and that her song "Dance Monkey" is about drunk people demanding that she keep playing when she was done for the night and about to head home. She's very talented and I'm glad that her hard work is finally paying off. Busking ain't easy.

Boston has it's fair share of buskers. The most well known busker from Boston is probably Amanda Palmer. Although she's not busking here anymore there are few that almost every Bostonian knows. I thought I'd show the Boston buskers some love with a blog post.

Keytar Bear is my personal favorite and currently the most beloved Boston busker. Trillium Brewing even had a limited edition Keytar Bear IPA. I've also seen a few Keytar Bear Halloween costumes. He's sadly been robbed a few times and even beaten and robbed. Who does that! The community raised money to replace his broken equipment and people well furious. He still goes out and does his thing. I always give him money if I see him.


Boston Opera Guy is another personal favorite of mine. No costume and minimal equipment. I often hear him before I actually seem him. He always draws a crowd.


If you're visiting Boston and want to see some buskers and street performers your best bet is Fanieul Hall, Harvard Square (in Cambridge), Davis Square (in Somerville) or one of the main T stops. I've seen buskers at Park Street, Back Bay, Harvard Sqaure and Downtown Crossing. You never know which station you might come across a busker. They're out there working hard so considering giving them a dollar or two.

6 comments:

  1. What a joy to watch/ listen to. And learning about her beginnings really brings the lyrics to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Keytar Bear! There's also a lady who plays an electric violin who I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes she is good too! I haven't seen her in a while.

      Delete
  3. I can't help that feel that Keytar Bear's image doesn't quite go with the music he's playing, even though he's good I was expecting something a little more hip hop?

    Love Dance Monkey, I hope she's not a one hit wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm so used to Keytar Bear that I can't remember what I thought the first time I heard him but I can see what you mean.

      Delete