Thursday, February 13, 2020

To read, or not to read, that is the question

I'm part of a small book club with some friends and our last two books were duds. The first dud had an interesting premise and plenty of good reviews but the general consensus of the book club was that it was tough to get through. The most recent book was only finished by two people. The rest of us gave up. Humor books can be a risky choice for book club and Dear Girls was not my first choice but I give every book club book a fair shot. I don't like not finishing a book. I decided to stop listening with two hours left on the audio book. (I like to listen to memoirs when they're narrated by the writer.) I decided that I didn't want to waste two more hours of my time on a book I was not enjoying. Ali's humor is not for me. As someone who was firmly in camp MUST FINISH THE BOOK I'm now giving myself permission to put it aside if I'm not enjoying myself. There are too many good books out there and no one is forcing me to finish a dud but myself.

Despite no one really liking the book we still had some interesting discussions over tacos and cheesecake. Did I mention that our book club is called Goldenbooks and Cheesecake Club? My suggestion for the next book is Picnic at Hanging Rock. We're still voting but so far it's in the lead. Fiona kept saying the title wrong so now we're all joking about the name of the book. "Can't wait to read Rock Hanging at the Picnic." I hope we end up reading it so we can have a picnic themed meeting and of course for the running joke of the name.

4 comments:

  1. I think more people who read should allow themselves to skip or stop a book. Reading should be something that brings joy and shouldn't feel like a chore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I forced myself to finish books I wasn't enjoying. No more!

      Delete
  2. I've got plenty in the DNF pile. Honestly, this is the main reason I've been reluctant to join a book club - "but... what if I don't like the book?".
    Your first dud looks interesting, though. Picnic at Hanging Rock would get my vote. Maybe I'll read it anyway. Either way, sounds like a good excuse for a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would really get into Vicious but the pacing was too slow. I didn't care about the flashbacks, just the present. I did manage to finish it though. In the book club i'm in we don't mind if someone doesn't finish. I wouldn't want to be part of a book club that forced everyone to finish even if they didn't like it.

      Delete